Sunday, August 25, 2013

Working at this Hostel

Working at the reception of a Hostel is awesome. 


  1. It's an easy job.
    I check people in, answer the phone, surf the internet, socialize and push a buzzer so people can open the door.
  2. I'm beginning to learn what activities in Rio are on what day.
    I know when and where the markets and good parties are.
  3. The job has perks.
    If I sell a certain tour, I can go with them for free. (I can't wait to hang glide!)
At this particular hostel, I am four blocks away from Copacabana Beach. It's located on a quiet corner. The owner used to be in the army and carries himself with alot of pride. He has friends over almost every night. They watch the game and drink. His wife and son are always around. His other kids always call.

Then there's Camilla. She's an interesting character...
This is a lady from across the street, in her late forties who comes visit the hostel with her dog Malin (a boxer that always wears a bow around her neck).
She speaks French. She used to travel by boat with her father. She has many many stories.
She came over to read me about 1000 pages of poetry she wrote.
Most of her poetry revolves around the fact that she feels like she wasn't truly loved by a man, and never had children. She uses metaphors of the ocean and of storms in order to depict what she feels. Awesome, but repetitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment