Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Half Way There.

It's funny how it seemed as if finding a place to work without my legal Brazilian documents seemed hard.

I am now working at a hostel in Copacabana in exchange for a room, so I don't need any documents...

I decided not to stay at the apartment I had found because the internet the lady advertised only worked in the hall, there was no reception for my phone and she takes care of her brother whom has dementia.
Therefor when she leaves to run her errands (as she did when I was there, for about 3 hours), she asked me to attend to his needs.
I didn't plan to pay to be a care-taker, so I left that same night.

I have been moving from hostel to hostel because the ones I like fill up with reservations.

I spent days calling and making appointments with people in order to see apartments.

Majority of the time they didn't show up at the scheduled time or didn't answer the phone. This is something extremely hard to get used too. They lack so much responsibility and respect, it's rather disturbing.
If they do show up, they'll walk you into an apartment that smells like urine and has pots with rotting food on the stove. These are just not livable conditions.Call me a princess if you'd like!

Meanwhile I've been staying at the BEST hostel in Rio (Bossa in Rio Hostel) in Lapa... and have been looking for a place to live.
My Italian friend Samuel who lives at Bossa in Rio too went for an interview and was told that they were looking for two people, so he called me and now I have a job at a mediocre hostel in Copacabana.
This is most people's dream come true... but I'm starting to capture the "Zone Sul" vibe. It's different... I can tell.. People from Lapa/Santa Teresa are more pleasant.

I got the job I wanted. I am the hostel receptionist, but this place isn't like Bossa in Rio... where the staff are pleasant and the owner's vision is to provide the best hostel in Rio. This place emphasizes other ideals...
I plan to hang on for the experience and till Rock in Rio passes... because in the end, this'll be the best place to enjoy it.

Working at the hostel comes with perks: I get to see sights for free... and I plan on having a blastttt!!!

Now that I have a stupid desk job, I can reddit all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment