Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Carnaval and... I know it's luck!

On Sunday (my only regular day off), I began my CARNAVAL festivities...
I went to my first bloco.
It was awesome, because people were dressed up everywhere... it was also a panic attack waiting to happen, because there was just soooo many people, wow!

It was blistering hot. I stayed for about an hour, that's all I could take before I started to panic.

Then I went home, my roomie came by, took a shower and invited me to go to another bloco... this one was even bigger. At this piont I understood and knew what I was getting into, so it wasn't as bad. It was also at the end of the afternoon, so there was shade.

After that bloco, we went back home to rest and get ready to go to Sapucai... yes, the SAMBADROME... the place that hosts Samba Schools... the ONE place north america gets 15 seconds of tv time, when people mention that Carnaval began.. yes, I was there... it is HUGE. It's also a place designed by Oscar Neymier ...(ballllller).
We saw a school from Vila Isabel.
They were outstanding... (maybe cuz it was the first and only school I saw in the sambadrome). We went with Day who had been there before, so we sat infront of the judge panel, she knew that the schools would stall there, like they would in the parade. The drumming was so loud and refined it pretty much rocked my soul! It was an amazing experience... I kept it together as a young woman with kids beside me spat multipletimes, folded paper airplanes out of brochure and gave it to her kids to throw.

It was also the night my left foot began to hurt... yeh, from standing all day... great!
The next day I woke up and my ankle was the size of a watermellon... I still went to the garden.. then it only got worse!
I began icing it, and elevating it for circulation.... today it was better, till I got to work.
I did what I needed to do, then got some ice, wrapped it in a towel and sat at the desk.

Then two french women come in and we talk (they are room 7). They see my foot and ask if they can take a look: they are postual podiatrist!! WHAT!!!! The woman massages my foot, flicks a few nerves... and I AM WALKING WITHOUT PAIN AGAIN... that means I am back in business and I will be enjoying carnaval... I am just so lucky. What were the odds. This, once again is one of those cool things about working at a hostel!

No comments:

Post a Comment