Thursday, May 9, 2013

Goodbye Comfort Zone

After the play I went to a terrace with Vince.
I stayed till about 11:20pm, then took the metro and the bus home.
The walk home from the bus stop was very pleasant.
It was hot summer night with some drizzle.
The only noise that I herd was that of those creatures of the night, the soft rain and my own sandals hitting the pavement.

I took a moment to breathe in the safety and the comfort I was lucky to have grown up in.

Baie d'Urfe is in the West Island of Montreal.
This place has been my home for over 15 years.
It is a very comfortable place to live in.
Neighbors are respectful.
It's safe, I can sleep with the windows open!
I went to all the schools that are near.
I worked at the local grocery store.
I had various cars.
I've biked or walked through every street.
I had a dog.
I had birds.
I had fish.
I took the train.
I rode my bike.

From my travels, I am aware the world isn't as safe or as comfortable as I've known to perceive it.
The time went by so quickly and I don't want to say that I took it for granted.
I have been very comfortable where I've been living for most of my life.
Things in general have been easy to access and acquire.
As of the 28th, it'll be real test of my own abilities to manage my life.

From an episode of the HBO show "GIRLS":

I wasn't initially inspired by this concept.
Now that I have made my choice to move to Brazil and do it all on my own, I've realized how appropriately this fits into my situation.

I  know I won't be comfortable.
I have accepted this.

I don't know where I'll be staying.
I don't know what I'll be doing.
I might have to work 6 days a week. I might be paid less because of my sex.
I don't know where I'll do laundry or buy food.
I don't know how I'll set up my bank account or CPF.
I don't know how I'll get a job.


It hasn't been easy this far, and I know it wont be... 
I just know that whatever the outcome it'll be worth it for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment