Thursday, May 30, 2013

An Address

By pure luck, I was able to make all my connections and land in SDU a little before 3pm. Flying in, I realized I made the right decision. Yes, I felt the exact same amazing feeling I did three years ago when I landed. Off in the distance I saw the Corcovado, and to the left I saw the Sugar Loaf which I missed visiting last year, but I can’t wait to go see it as soon as I’m settled into a place. There’s something about this city that makes me happy!

I’ve come to realize that settling into a place is key to beginning a life in Brazil. For anything that you’re going to do, you’ll need a stable address.
Yesterday, I spent my entire first day looking for information on how to begin the process of acquiring all my legal documents.
I went to find out how to get an ID card. It’s a free process which is nice, but appointments have to be scheduled through the telephone. I’ll do that soon!
Then I went to find out how to get a CPF. For that and a card to be able to work, I need an address. For a bank account, I need an address. So the focus and main priority has been to find a place to call home.
Today I went to check out my first place. It was cheap economically. Only 360$Reais. It had what I needed: a bed, a bathroom, wi-fi, kitchen and a washing machine. It was in safe location near the police station, on a main street, with a bus stop directly in front of it. The problem was that it was extremely small/tight and a little mold-smelling. There was nowhere to lounge unless you were lying in your own bed. I know I won’t be able to handle staying there.
That was the first place I looked at, so I’m hoping it’ll get better from here! I also noticed that my price margin needs to rise and hopefully it’ll correlate with quality.
I’m still happy. I love being in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment